It’s that time of year again – New Years resolution time. Use your New Years resolution to focus on improving a few key elements that affect your well being! It doesn’t take much, just focus on making a few simple changes and you can boost your health and fertility.
1. Quit smoking – Smoking negatively impacts fertility in women and in men. Cigarette smoking can make it even more difficult to get pregnant for someone trying to conceive. Quitting also helps make sperm more viable. The same goes for second-hand smoke. If you are trying to conceive, it is smart to quit smoking at least six months prior to starting.
2. Modify your diet and exercise – If you’re overweight or underweight, you could be compromising your fertility. Your weight affects both your periods as well as your ovulation. The first thing you should do is come up with a routine workout schedule that involves cardio and some minor weights. This will help you stay healthy and strong and it can maximize the possibility of you getting pregnant. Try to always choose fresh fruits, veggies, and whole foods over processed or canned goods. Try to stick with foods that are high in zinc, vitamin E & C and folic acid.
3. Limit alcohol intake – We all know you shouldn’t drink once you are pregnant, but women are also advised to limit drinking while trying to conceive, and stop altogether when undergoing fertility treatment like IVF. Same goes for caffeine.
4. Go green – Studies are finding more and more links between infertility and environmental toxins. Chemicals and toxins, radiation, and phthalates and bisphenol A (found in some plastics) can all negatively affect fertility and the health of you and your baby.
5. See a fertility doctor – You may have been putting off seeing a doctor for your fertility for a number of reasons, whether it’s fear of a diagnosis, financial concerns, or simply time. However, if you’re 35 or older and have been trying to get pregnant for six months or more, it’s time to consult with a specialist. Now is a great time to resolve to take control over your own fertility.
6. Meditate and relax– Stress can negatively impact your chances for conceiving and can cause problems if you’re pregnant. Unfortunately, stress is compounded when we try to conceive month after month, creating a downward spiral that is difficult to break. Make a conscious effort to find a natural balance that will benefit you and your baby. By giving yourself 15 minutes per day to reduce stress and open the powerful mind-body connection, you can make incredible strides to improving your fertility and overall health and wellness. Our programs can help you achieve this.
7. Find things to be thankful for– Find something to be grateful for each day. Often times we get so focused on chasing after something we want that we forget to enjoy the present moment. Don’t forget to enjoy what you already have. Don’t forget to be happy. It’s okay to aspire to achieve your goals but it’s also important to celebrate yourself, the present moment and to celebrate your life.