“Rock bottom became my solid foundation.” – JK Rowling
How are you on this fine Thursday? I hope you are feeling happy, full of energy and have a smile on your face!
What’s that?!? You aren’t feeling happy, full of energy or have a smile on your face? Are you feeling as if you are in a rut…that nothing is going your way…and it seems like everything is just plain pissing you off?
And, of course, we have Mother’s Day right around the corner, which for a LOT of us, isn’t necessarily the happiest of days. For me, I get to reflect on the passing of my Mom more than 18 years ago.
I believe that it is the human condition to feel the full range of emotions and absolutely no one is happy all of the time.
But, here’s the key to actually harnessing the power of these negative emotions.
Yes, I do believe there is a power behind them. Call it the yin-yang energy that underlies our universe.
Allowing your emotions just as they are and “lean in.” This could be your personal paradigm shift.
But how can we “lean in” to capture this power? Here are three suggestions:
1. Allow yourself to just be
- Even when you are saying to yourself “I feel like sh*t!” – accept it, and let yourself stay in that unhappy, dark place as long as you want. It’s absolutely futile to push those sad feelings out of your life because it’s impossible to completely change your outlook on command. Plus they serve a purpose. These sad, distraught, questioning emotions allow you to consider new options, take a step back from life and reevaluate, and to recuperate your mind and body from a stressful time.
2. Try not to label your sour feelings as “bad”
- When you think about these down feelings in the context of allowing you to recuperate, or to learn something about yourself, would you label that as “bad?” Maybe there is no such thing as good and bad when talking about the emotional state we find ourselves in. And when we don’t use such labels, we become free of the restrictions they impose.
3. Try to center yourself on your life goals
- Knowing you are in a “down” state, it’s important to stay focused on your life goals, intentions and desires in life. This will be your short-cut back into a more optimistic state. And I do believe what you think about, you bring about. So, intending and reaffirming what you truly want out of life, even if you are “faking it until you make it” – is so important and will always be the solid foundation from which to grow.
So, accept the truth inside, and always have your guiding star with your dreams, desires and intentions lighting the way… And find the juicy bits that keep life exciting.
Now it is your turn to take action now. Comments below and answer one of these easy questions: “What one word describes your you are feeling today?” or “What one word describes your thoughts about Mother’s Day?”
With love and gratitude,